On a mission to make a difference…
The mission of the Foundation is to enhance the quality of life in North San Diego County by directing philanthropic efforts toward community needs.
We fulfill our Mission by…
- Providing a flexible way for donors with varied philanthropic desires to make a positive difference in areas of interest
- Working with individuals, families, and businesses as partners to fulfill their charitable goals and address community needs
- Making grants to support nonprofit programs and community projects
- Serving as a resource for philanthropy
- Helping professional advisors serve their clients
It started in 1987, around a small table wedged into a tiny office at the Community Resource Center in Encinitas. A handful of citizens had an idea: they wanted to create a way to support social service, education and environmental issues and more in an area undergoing extraordinary change.
“We started meeting even before the cities of Encinitas and Solana Beach incorporated. We knew there were people out there who loved these communities and were willing to support them, but there wasn’t any structure to accept money.”
– Margaret Schlesinger
“We started with so little, but I never doubted it would do well. “People like that idea of staying local. The world is such a big place; it’s nice to know that you’re doing something to help your friends and your community.”
– Anne Omsted
“The real key is that small amounts of money can make a major difference in the lives of North County residents. My friend, the Rev. Thelma Olson, ministered to the poor and homeless, so when she died and left me money, I created the ‘Thelma Olson Feed the Hungry Fund’.”
“My original goal was to help create an organization that would be fiscally sound and survive the test of time.”